Thursday, July 14, 2011

Medieval Nights


When I was a 3rd year student at Miami University a couple of classmates and I began to scramble for a minor. We really hadn't considered it before, but suddenly it became important. I had enough classes for a minor in psychology but my school didn't offer a minor in psychology.  I didn't want to double major; I wanted a minor.  Don't ask me why.

Since I was a history major, pursuing a minor in Medieval Studies sounded logical.  Although I knew squat about anything medieval, I forged ahead.  I'm glad that I did.  I joined a small group of 4th year students who were all interested in European Medieval History. For a well-rounded view of that period we took an array of classes. In history we focused on the 12th Century (actually the period from 1050 to about 1250 or even 1300).  I also took a class in medieval art and was able to slot in a Chaucer class.  We had to do an independent study and I focused on medieval women.

So you can imagine my delight that here, each year, there is a  Medieval Fair in my favorite walled medieval Portuguese town of Ă“bidos. It is sooooo much fun.  I only wish that I could share this experience with my former classmates . . .


No comments: