Sunday, October 05, 2008

I'm in love again. . .




Well, there it is. I've said it, "I'm in love again (and it's not even spring!)"

My first love was Cary Grant, then when I was a little older I fell in love with Paul Newman and my last big love was Warren Beatty. Yes, I took an occasional fancy to others over the years. Burt Reynolds, Tom Sellick, and John Lennon were each on my list at one time or another, and while I was smitten, they were merely crushes - (hahahaha).

Well I thought all that was well behind me and whammo Cupid's arrow strikes again. This time the object of my "intellectual" desire is Alan Shore. Yes, Alan Shore from Boston Legal. No, not James Spader who by the way is a great actor and is doing a fab job making this character come to life. But not James Spader. I'm in love with the with fictional character of Alan Shore.

For those of you who don't know Alan Shore is a character on Boston Legal one of those lawyer shows so popular in the States. His character is a wealthy, eccentric widower in his mid 40's. He is also a womanizer. Blah, blah, blah . . .

The most important qualities of Alan Shore are that he is: intelligent, well-educated, informed, articulate, passionate, and honorable. And more importantly, he isn't afraid to say what he thinks. (Listen to him speak here). He takes on the tough issues - he asks everyone to be accountable and to hold our leaders accountable. He talks about what it really means to be "American".

Yes, I'm in love again. The thing that bothers me about all this is that Alan Shore is NOT a real person but a fictionalized character. That for one to find an honorable man we must look to fantasy.

It bothers me that we live in a "me" society in which we shove and snatch what we want much like the pre-schooler who grabs a toy from another child - only now the stakes are higher.

It bothers me that the people who started this current economic crisis are the sames ones who will be given the funds to correct it.

It bothers me that the fox is guarding the henhouse.

It bothers me that it's not our business or political leaders who are trying to make the world a better place and that people like me who are looking for a better day for humanity are resigned to flights of imagination with characters like Alan Shore for 1 hour per week less adverts . . .

No comments: