Tuesday, May 20, 2014

my new home away from home . . .

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yYbTmVI_C_I/T2uEmK-5MeI/AAAAAAAADVo/5dK1q5RVVHQ/s1600/PORTUGAL+-+map.jpg

It was 20 years ago this month that I came to live in Portugal. It was a very big adventure. Europe - wow! So much to see, so much to do.  Shortly after arriving I visited a touristy hilltop town and in one of the shops the British owner struck up a conversation with me after ascertaining that I was more than a tourist.  She was then about my age now. She asked me how I found Portugal and asked if I detected a lot of differences. I said that I was enjoying it all: the food, people, weather, and the sea.  She agreed that it was like that for her too in the beginning. She advised me that at first I wouldn't see too many differences but the longer I stayed, the more differences I would notice.  She was right . . .

No comments: