Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"I'm sorry" doesn't always mean that someone is sorry . . .

http://themoderatevoice.com/wordpress-engine/files/2008_july/Stop_Sign.jpg

I've been walking along the bay every morning since my summer holiday began and I'm patting myself on the back all over the place about this. It's roughly a 50 minute walk and I cover approximately 5 kilometers (3 miles).

This morning on the way to walk a relatively normal looking guy in his early 30's went through a red light. He was accompanied by his young wife and little one in a car seat in the back seat of the car. As he was going through the red light he said that he was sorry. When we chastised the driver, he said, "I said I was sorry."

He looked like a nice guy. Yeah, we've all gone through red lights - or at least I have. No one was hurt by his mistake. BUT he was in the wrong.  There's more to being wrong than saying "I'm sorry".  You have to actually BE sorry.  If you are sorry, you are remorseful.  If you are remorseful, you don't cop an attitude with the people you almost hit.  End of story.

"I'm sorry" doesn't always mean that someone is sorry.  Sometimes it's just a lot of blah, blah, blah. . .

No comments: