Sunday, May 15, 2011

lapse

http://static.starcitygames.com/sales/cardscans/MAG5TH/memory_lapse.jpg
Portugal is a Catholic country and last evening we went to mass. One week ago yesterday (Saturday, May 7) someone Luís knew died.  The funeral and cremation took place on Monday following his death. It is common here for a mass to be said 1 week following the death.

As is ritual, many of those attending observed Communion.  I was raised in the Roman Catholic tradition and tried to remember the last time I participated in this practice.  Was I 11 or 12?  I couldn't remember but thought that it must have been some time when I was in the 5th or 6th grade.  I stopped going to church altogether by 7th grade.  I'm a lapsed Catholic.

And then I began to think about the other lapses that have occurred over the years: lapses in judgement (I'm happy to say that these don't happen very often any more); lapses in memory (which are happening more and more - lol), time lapses (this happened just last week when I was ill and had to spend the day in bed), reality lapses (these usually occur when someone says something so stupid/inappropriate and I just sit there (at the dinner/meeting/party/event) and act like everything is normal) and most of all lapses in communication.

I am a lapsed sibling, aunt, friend . . .  What a shame.  Since this is the only lapse I really care about, I think it's time to close the gap on this. . .

No comments: