Monday, September 03, 2007

It's always something . . .

Miau Miau sits around the apartment all day staring out of the window and watching the world below. It's hard being forced to be an indoor cat after having lived a Jack Kerouac lifestyle. I found Miau Miau (pronounced Meow Meow) about 6 years ago - or should I say she found me. I left a ground floor window cracked just enough to stick the dryer vent out and she was clever enough to use that opportunity to get her foot in the door (so to speak). She began spending the night indoors and helped herself to Scarlette's (the stray we found at the beach) leftovers. She was too thin for words and I thought that since she was already living with us that we would buy her a collar and make it official.

A lot has happened in the last year - including my quitting my job, Scarlette getting hit by a car (she's now buried beneath a rose bush), and a move. And so it goes with life - it's always something.



I was passing a pet store a few weeks ago and on impulse went in to browse. It seems that this shop offers a kind of "humane society-type" service. They will accept unwanted kittens and showcase them. The kittens are given away "free" to a good home. I had been considering getting Miau Miau a kitten - thought a little female kitty might perk her up a bit so when I noticed that they had a variety of little ones to choose from, I took a look.



To make a very long story short I ended up taking home a free kitten that day. I was assured that the kitten was a female (which we promply named Princess) and was in good health. It didn't take long to figure out that Princess should have been named Prince and 100 Euros later we found out that the cat was suffering from ear mites, worms, a fungus infection, and was in need of his first shots.





And so, this is the story of how it was that little Mac came to be a part of our family. It's always something . . .

No comments: